Running a marathon and aspiring to finish is always a big deal for any recreational runner. The months of gruelling training, waking very early in the morning, running those moutainous distance have to stop and you wait for the “R” day with bated breath. There are some things you have to take care of.
Around a week before the marathon:
1) This is the week when you are going to do the least of your training. Your training has almost finished-Make sure you give your body enough rest to reserve the energy for the big run. Keep your mind free from any negative thoughts. Visualise yourself at the start line and then at the finish line with hand and head held high.
2) Carb loading: Consciously eat more Carbs which should include Brown rice, pasta, wheat and protiens. Avoid deep fried foods. Make sure you eat lot of fruits like banana, orange. Also keep yourself well hydrated. Drink atleast 3-4 lts of water per day.
3) Prepare what you are going to wear on the race day. Do not leave this for the day before the race. Shoes, socks, sunglasses, T shirt, cap etc. Make sure you tie the timing chip to the shoes well before the race. Don’t keep anything for the last moment/
4) Make sure you have the same breakfast which you are going to have on race day, afew days before. Be very objective on what you are going to eat for breakfast. Breakfast will be the only meal you will be having before the race. If possible have the breakfast at the same time. 2 days before the race go for a 3-4 km easy jog.
5) Sleep enough- Sleep enough from 3 days prior to race day. Average duration of sleep should be 7-730 hrs/ Stay off your feet as much as you can. Avoid going to places like mall because you end up walking lot without realising it.
6) Refrain from thinking about life’s worries and problems. Keep your mind refreshed and think about how good you are going to feel after completing the race. If you want draft an update to be posted on social networking sites. Feel good about yourself and think that you are going to enjoy the journey to run the marathon on the race day.
7) Sleep early on Saturday if the race is on Sunday. In case you are unable to sleep on Saturday due to anxiet, excitement and find it difficult to get sleep, don’t worry. Sleeping on a day before is not that important. Make sure you had slept well on the Friday and Thursday.
Following the above steps wont give you such a great race that will help you to qualify for the Boston Marathon, but it will give you the much required confidence which will help you in the long run. Most of the things are basic, but it is very important to follow them. Remember that on that day you are going to thump your foot thousands of times on a hard concrete road. And if you follow a training regime and some precautions before the race, it can damage your leg parts.